Corona Labs - Jobs
VP/Director of Engineering
This position is based in the United States.
Join Corona Labs as we reinvent how the world develops software. We are enabling everyone to create world-class apps for phones, tablets, and other connected devices.
Corona SDK is the leading mobile development platform for building #1 cross-platform games, apps and eBooks. Over 150,000 developers use Corona from indies to game studios, from teenagers to octogenarians, from publishers to agencies. Their apps have consistently hit the top of the charts on all 4 major app stores: iTunes, Google Play, NOOK, and Amazon.
As VP/Director of Engineering, you will run the entire Corona Labs engineering team. This includes our entire software stack: mobile, desktop, and cloud. You will oversee all software development, QA, and customer support.
This position demands an agile leader with exceptional technical and interpersonal skills who can grow and maintain a superb team. You will inspire them to deliver their best.
You believe in hands-on management. You believe that the best managers are like coaches, and like a good coach, you consistently give feedback to each team member.
You will be responsible for the nuts and bolts of engineering, such as agile-like processes, bug scrubs, work estimation, hiring, and team development.
You keep yourself honest by regularly syncing, building, and running the code in the debugger. You read code check-in summaries. You track bug counts.
You are vigilant about improving team productivity. You understand how to get teams to maintain a healthy code base. You anticipate problems and can motivate individuals, especially in the face of adversity. You know what it takes to gets teams moving in a rhythm in spite of a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
You are team-oriented and possess outstanding interpersonal skills. You work well with people from a wide range of backgrounds and with varying levels of technical ability. You are comfortable managing individuals locally as well as remotely.
You have excellent written and verbal communication skills. You enjoy interacting online as well as speaking publicly at events. You proactively think about the external impact of internal engineering work, and how that work needs to be messaged externally to customers (e.g. our developer community).
You will help the team navigate constant contradictions:
- Your work will cover high-level architectural design as well as actual infrastructure development and feature implementation.
- You set the bar high for the code you write, but know how to take calculated shortcuts that minimize code entropy.
- You have a keen sense for when to figure it out alone and when to solicit answers to critical conceptual questions.
- You have a deep desire to fix things that are broken, but also know when it’s time to move on.
- You are comfortable context switching, seamlessly alternating between delivering great innovative leaps and steady incremental, compounding improvements.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience.
- Experience managing multiple software projects with a proven record of delivering a variety of high quality products and technologies.
- Experience on a diverse set of software projects, e.g. mobile, desktop, and cloud.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks, satisfy competing demands, and prioritize work accordingly.
- Fluency in multiple, modern software development processes.
- Energetic, self-motivated, and pro-active with demonstrated creative and critical thinking capabilities.
- Exceptional technical, written/verbal communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Passion for product quality and attention to details.
- Comfortable with rapid development cycles, tight schedules.
- Experience with C/C++ is required (for street cred).
- BS in computer science or equivalent.
- Candidate must be in the San Francisco Bay Area.
What’s in it for you
- Opportunity for growth with a startup with unlimited potential.
- Very significant ownership and responsibility from day one.
- Competitive salary, benefits, flexible environment.
- A fun, cutting edge, and friendly atmosphere.
Founded in 2008, Corona Labs (formerly Ansca) is a venture-backed company based in Palo Alto. Our team hails from Adobe, Apple, Macromedia, and Microsoft. Last year, Dow Jones named Corona Labs as one of the most innovative startups. The Corona platform empowers developers of all backgrounds to create #1 games, apps, and eBooks for iOS and Android-based devices. In the past 10 months, Corona-based apps have been launched over 1,000,000,000 times.
How to apply
Send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “VP of Engineering” in the subject.
Include your resume and tell us why you think you would be perfect for this job.
We look forward to hearing from you!
lua, ios, android, opengl, directx, objective-c, java, c, c++, corona, frameworks, mac, windows, management